Yup, you heard it: GREEN!
I promise they are delicious. Even DH could not believe that they were that good!
The thing is, I fell in love with spinach during my "uber healthy" years, so now I try my very best to add spinach to just about everything I eat! So if you like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and bananas, you must try to make this at home!
Why add spinach? you ask...well let me tell you why (via):
- Spinach is a fat free, cholesterol free, very low in calories and in sodium.
- This leafy green is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, K, B2, B6, magnesium, folate, manganese, iron, calcium, and potassium.
- It is rich in antioxidants which help reduce free radicals in the body. Antioxidants along with magnesium and folate help lower high blood pressure.
- Spinach is a heart-healthy food that is also rich in lutein, which promotes good eye health.
And now...TAH-DAAAH...here it is, Andie's Green Monster Smoothie:
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 frozen sliced banana (Tip: cut and peel before freezing)
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or: soy, skim milk...chose to your liking)
- 1/2 cup of low-fat, vanilla frozen yogurt (or: fat free greek vanilla yogurt)
- 1 tsp of Nesquik sugar-free chocolate powder
- 1/2 tbsp low-fat peanut butter
- 2 cups of organic spinach (or more or less)
- 3 ice cubes
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
291 calories, 8g protein, 10g fiber
Feel free to add more fruits into your blender. I love adding a small handful of frozen blueberries, strawberries, and/or raspberries. I sometimes go wild and add a two cubes of frozen green tea (I know, I'm going green overboard!)
I know everyone has a gimmick or a diet. Over the past years, I vowed that I would never EVER be on a diet...rather, I would make healthier eating choices instead. I kinda like the choice I made to make my own smoothies. So try it yourself...I promise you will love it!
Thank you to Iowa Girl Eats for the inspiration!
What are you waiting for? Try it out and tell me how delish yours is!
What would Popeye say?...I'm strong to the finish cause I eat me spinach!!