My favorite thing to make during the holidays is definitely Alfajores [Alpha-hor-es]. They are these delicious Peruvian cookies that I've been told look like macaroons! I promise you...I PROMISE YOU! These are so much better!!!
By no means, do I consider myself an expert cookie maker. Specially these, but all the ingredients are so delicious when put together!
You must not...I repeat...YOU MUST NOT LOOK at the calorie/fat content in this recipe. LOL...
1 cup of flour
1 cup of cornstarch
5 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/4 sticks of butter
1 can of Dulce De Leche (or more to fill the cookies)
Powdered sugar to sprinkle on cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet and lightly sprinkle some flour on top.
2.Allow the butter to soften and mix all the ingredients with your hands. The consistency of the batter should not be crumbly (if so, add little a sliver of butter) nor super greasy (if so, sprinkle some flour).
3. Once all ingredients are mixed in, with a rolling pin roll the batter to about 1/4 inch thick. With a simple cookie cutter (round or heart shaped) make as many cookies, carefully placing them onto the cookie sheet.
4. Bake cookies for about 10-15mins or until golden. Remove them and allow to cool on wax paper.
5. Open a can of Dulce De Leche and liberally spread the gooey goodness onto the cookie. Top it off with another cookie.
6. Once you have made enough cookie sandwiches with the Dulce De Leche, set them up so that you can sift powder sugar on both sides of the cookies.
7. Enjoy at your leisure!!!!
I swear, they melt in your mouth!